The Ski Club of New Jersey has a long history of ski racing both with youth and adults, and both at New York Metro area ski resorts and at Vermont resorts. The club is currently participating in Tuxedo Ridge.NY’s Wednesday Night Races, which is a training series. The club also has a winter Junior Race training seminar at the Lodge.
The Ski Club of New Jersey offers race opportunities via the Ski and Snowboard Council of New Jersey:
NJSSC State Race
- Adult Race Date – February 7, 2015 at Pico, Vermont
- Team race that consists of a one run slalom and one run giant slalom. Team consists of five women and six men. Clubs may enter more than one team. Results based on best three women and best four men time in each run. Racer may not finish first run or disqualify and still count for second run for team score. All racers get a commemorative T-shirt. Party after race at Pico to announce results. Awards and other prizes given out at end-of-year race party in April. All prizes given away lottery style. Winning mens, womens, and combined team get to keep perpetual trophy for year.
- All racers get a commemorative T-shirt.
- Party after race at Pico to announce results.
- Awards and other prizes given out at end-of-year race party in April. All prizes given away lottery style. Winning men’s, women’s, and combined team get to keep perpetual trophy for year.
- State Race News Letter and Sign-Up Form
- NJSSC Liability Release Form
- Pico Liability Release Form
2015 New Jersey Ski & Snowboard Council Junior Race
- February 7, 2015 at Pico Mountain, Vermont
- Open to all Juniors 18 years or younger who are children of NJSSC members
- Age categories: Under 12, 13 to 15, and 16 to 18
- Registration fee includes lift ticket, awards, and entry to post race party
- Registration form for your club no later than January 28, 2015
- The annual Stanley Sharaga Memorial President’s Race is held each year. The race honors the memory of a Stanley Sharaga, a past President of the New Jersey Ski & Snowboard Council.
- Date -March 21, 2015 – at Hunter Mountain, New York.
- Team size per club is unlimited. Two run dual Nastar race. Results ranked based on racer’s best handicap. Men and women divided into three equal classes with first person in each class getting 25 points on down. Team score based on best three women point scores and best four men point scores. Therefore, racers in second and third classes can contribute equally to team score as can best racers.
- Racers receive commemorative racing photograph and Nastar metal if they qualify. Party after race at Hunter Mountain. Awards given out for team and first, second, and third men and women in each class. All prizes given away lottery style. Race clinic – date TBD – at Hunter, NY.
NJSSC Wednesday Night Race League
- The league consists of 7 nights of racing contested at Tuxedo Ridge, NY.
- Races start at 7:00 p.m. Racers can start skiing as early as 6:00 PM.
- Cost for the evening is only $15 which includes:
- Lift Ticket
- Use of the Race Course
- President;s Race
- Light Buffet meal at 9:00 PM
- Awards and other prizes given out at the post-race party.
- Jan 14 2015 Results
The Ski Club of New Jersey also has recently partnered with the Metropolitan Ski Council which has a variety of racing opportunities.
Each year since 1936 the Metropolitan New York Ski Council has run an annual ski and inter-club racing competition.
The competition, which features both alpine and snowboard races, is normally held during the later part of January.
To ensure good participation, five events are offered: Main, Intermediate, Junior, Husband & Wife, and Snowboard.
The competition draws serious racers and not so serious racers alike and offers a wonderful opportunity for members
of the Council’s clubs to meet, to compete, to ski together and to celebrate at the après ski party where medals are
awarded and tentative trophy winner results are announced.
The competition is open to anyone who has been a member of a Metropolitan New York Ski Council club since
January 1st of the year of the race, who is a bonafide amateur, who meets the eligibility requirements of the event
entered, and who abides by the rules. Each year the following prized trophies are engraved and passed to
the winners or to the winners’ clubs.
First Main Event Team – Palmedo Trophy
First Intermediate Event Team – German Ski Club Trophy
First Intermediate Event Junior Team – Herbert Schneider Trophy
Fastest Giant Slalom Skier – Harry W. Voege Trophy
First Elite Woman – Lillian Andlauer Trophy
First Senior Woman – Woman’s Ski Association Trophy
First Woman – Harry Vallin Trophy
First Super Elite Man – Gene Worthley Memorial Trophy
First Elite Man – Matt Nuttila Trophy
First Veteran Man – Eric Sand Trophy
First Man – Metropolitan New York Ski Council Trophy
Fastest Woman – Grumman Trophy
Fastest Man – Allan Potts Memorial Trophy II
First Junior Girl – Larry Thain Trophy
First Junior Boy – Bernard Bauer Trophy
Fastest Snowboarder – Peter Endress Snowboarding Trophy
Be sure to include this happening on your club’s calendar of events! Racers,
club members and friends of club members are welcome to attend the après ski party.
Contact your club’s Met Council Rep/Contact Person for more details.